Re: [ide-dev] Dropping the release names (Neon, Oxygen) from user downloads

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Bruno Medeiros <bruno.do.medeiros@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sounds good.
BTW, IntelliJ is also moving to naming releases on a year basis: https://blog.jetbrains.com/blog/2016/03/09/jetbrains-toolbox-release-and-versioning-changes/

However, to me an even more important aspect is that Eclipse doesn't automatically update across major releases. This will be even more confusing if Eclipse adopts a year-based naming scheme, because the user will either expect continuous updates forever, or alternatively that a new download/manual-installation is required for the first release of a new year.

IMHO, we should support this. I have this requirement for my commercial product based on Eclipse and so far it's worked, at least since we started testing it in Luna.

Consider Doug's example, a major release is done in 2016, then a follow-up minor release on 2017. If the minor release is called 2016.3 even though its 2017, it's confusing. But if it's called 2017.1, but Eclipse only updates automatically to 2017.1, but not to 2017.2 (because say, that would be a new major release), it's even more confusing...

The June release, where major version changes are allowed for plug-ins would not be 2017.2. It would mark the first of the releases in that year and would be just 2017. My point was you can't name the minor releases that occur in the next year by the year they release in, but what they update. And that could cause confusion.