Re: [ide-dev] Dropping the release names (Neon, Oxygen) from user downloads

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Tracy Miranda <tracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

In thinking about the Eclipse IDE more as a product, I want to toss up the suggestion of dropping the release names i.e Neon, Oxygen from anything user facing i.e. download site, etc.

The summary is that they unnecessarily add confusion for anyone not intimately familiar with Eclipse. I suggest replacing the releases simply with the year they go out. Perhaps with some convention for intermediate releases.

Thoughts?

We've talked about this at the planning council. I think there is some willingness to do change the release naming.

Though, we market heavily these names so they are supposed to be user facing. If you look at the Downloads page, https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/, we actually have the name of the release in small print and we only show one of them. And everywhere on that page where we mention a release name we give the Platform release number. And really, the packages are the prominent things on that page. Real new users would go there. You would have to thing it over a bit to pick a different release.

One thing I noticed in your blog was that the comments also hint at the confusion the packages themselves create. And we've seen examples of where that's confusing. I mentioned previously on this list a young co-worker picking the J2EE package because that's the first Java package he saw. I think we really need an Eclipse Ultimate package that merges together the top packages (J2EE, Java, C++ and maybe PHP and Committers).

It is the planning council that decides the release names. I'd be happy to bring it up again and make sure the conversation gets going again. I think we're tied to Oxygen but maybe the next one.

As for the Ultimate package, that might be something I could propose to the EPP project. The more I think about that, the more I kinda like it.

Doug.

Regards,
Tracy