Re: [ide-dev] Thoughts about a generic "Open Type" dialog

I'm on the same page as Alex, i.e. I'm open to that idea, as long as someone comes forward to implement and own the feature.

Besides the already listed requirements, performance needs to be considered, e.g. disable slow contributions (like Content Assist does). I mention this, because we are currently working on an 'Open Method Declaration' dialog and are fighting with performance issues there. Also, the user should have the option to disable unwanted contributions.

Dani

From:        Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        Discussions about the IDE <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        16.04.2016 09:29
Subject:        Re: [ide-dev] Thoughts about a generic "Open Type" dialog
Sent by:        ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

As long as someone plans to drive it - huge +1 from me, otherwise we have huge list of ideas how to improve the experience but just so many hours in the day. I find myself using "Open resource" way more often for exactly the same reason - to be able to open every type (assuming I have an idea for the file name) instead of being surprised by "Open type" showing me smth I definitely don't look cause of the active editor.

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team