Re: [ide-dev] Experiment

On 04/07/2016 06:05 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
Yeah, you see the nice orange Downloads button and it takes you to our Downloads page. But I always like to get a bit of an overview on the thing I'm downloading before I do to make sure I'm not wasting my time and bandwidth.
So I click on the Eclipse for Java EE IDE link (I'm not doing EE but it's the first Java IDE I saw - true story, one of the young guys on our team just did that), and I get this:
Now compare that to the IntelliJ page: https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/
Some times I feel like when I do a Gerrit push on a neat new feature, that I'm pushing it into /dev/null.

You know you can push a Gerrit review to EPP package to improve that page, right?

It's a fundamental flaw that's always been with Eclipse. It's not a product. I don't know why we expect it to be a product.
That's an interesting debate. I guess it's packaged as a product because it's what users expect/want. If you know a good way to get IDE users without this product facade, please suggest.
It's not an easy thing to ship a successful multi-organizations/individuals OSS IDE, but isn't it what makes it fun?
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top