Re: [ide-dev] Some constructive criticism for Eclipse

Nikolay,

Sorry for hearing of this. The best to do is to ping other developers via Bugzilla, mailing list, IRC or mattermost
I think I can help with general suggestions on how to setup the development environment:

For Platform UI / JDT dev env:
The current instructions Platform_UI/How_to_Contribute are for the Installer, that works on Java 64 bit.
If you're on java 32 bit, you should follow the same Contribution guide updated to Nov'2015.
In any case, to have the project working, you will need to point the IDE to a correct API Baseline.
Note: JDT development environment is similar to the Platform, except you will need to add a list of Installed JREs > Execution Environments, from 1.4 to 1.8

For WTP development:
This eclipse wiki page and this youtube video are showing how to setup the dev-env for JSDT, which is a subproject of WTP.
The setup will work for WTP, except you will need to use different source repositories.
( also, if you want to work on master, you should set Mars.2 as target platform )

If you find there is some flaws in the documentation to setup dev-env for WTP, Platform or JDT,
please add bugs for each missing thing, and put me in c/c.

HTH

Patrik Suzzi
Software
Engineer.