Re: [ide-dev] Policy of the Platform projects with regards to tests accessing non-public members

I don't know the answer for Platform projects, but CDT for example has
tests that are in a separate plug-in. The main plug-in simply declares
the packages as "x-friends" of the test plug-in instead of internal.
This means there is no limitation.

e.g. see how org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.internal is declared. [1] The
org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.internal package is used from the
org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb plug-in[2].

Export-Package: org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb,
 org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.actions,
 org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.breakpoints,
 org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.internal;
  x-friends:="org.eclipse.cdt.debug.gdbjtag.ui,
   org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.ui,
   org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb,
   org.eclipse.cdt.examples.dsf.gdb",
 org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.internal.commands;x-friends:="org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.ui",
 org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.internal.memory;x-internal:=true,
 -- snip --

[1] https://git.eclipse.org/c/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git/tree/dsf-gdb/org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF#n21
[2] https://git.eclipse.org/c/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git/tree/dsf-gdb/org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF#n17

Therefore there is no need to change it to a fragment.

Jonah
~~~
Jonah Graham
Kichwa Coders Ltd.