Re: [ide-dev] A "releases/latest" URL in the IDE to ease upgrades?

On 4 Dec 2015, at 14:23, Ed Willink wrote:

Hi

On 04/12/2015 12:04, Carsten Reckord wrote:

I agree completely. But breaking users' installations, or presenting them with a complex remediation "solution" might not be the most helpful way ;) Also keep in mind that when an upgrade causes problems due to 3rd-party plugins messing it up, this probably won't fall back on the 3rd-party plugin, but on Eclipse, which is after all suggesting/performing the upgrade.

I do not find the P2 remediation helpful. It takes forever, even when the problem is just 'already installed' (Bug exists).

Whenever P2 gives me an error, I cancel immediately since for me the fall-back bad dependency trace contains an accurate albeit obfuscated description of the problem. In comparison when I have left it to the remediation, the remediation has, I think, never been helpful to me. I've even raised a bug because I couldn't understnad waht was on offer.

Got the issues ?

Sorry but that's the way it is, and I don't think we can offer it to users.

What is the alternative ? complete control over the update sites users can add so updates are fully perfect ?

btw. just for info - if remediation did not exist every plugin targeting Mars must only
depend on Mars.0 bundles. Without remediation support you cannot require i.e. WTP from Mars.1 to avoid
running with some bug you know are in Mars.0 but fixed in Mars.1.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Back to the top