Re: [ide-dev] A "releases/latest" URL in the IDE to ease upgrades?

On 12/04/2015 12:31 AM, Patrik Suzzi wrote:
Note: I'm dependent on platform version, as I develop plugins on
Kepler (4.3), and I will have migration issues (...) in switching to
4.5
Target-Platforms are the solution to the issue of developing against an older version of Eclipse. You use 4.3 as target-platform, but still use IDE 4.5 and update 4.6 if you want.
Moreover, the plugin developers community is the most advanced and the most faithful part of Eclipse IDE users. Even if we change the behaviour of a "Check for Updates", they'll review the suggestion before applying the upgrade and if they see content that they don't want, they know how to tweak things as they'd like. It's not IMO the persona to focus on when it comes to making the IDE easier. Focus should be on Java+Maven/Gradle developer, HTML5+JS, C++, HTML5+PHP... developers.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top