Re: [ide-dev] Yet another article advising to leave Eclispe

Am 16.10.2014 um 11:30 schrieb Max Rydahl Andersen <manderse@xxxxxxxxxx>:

On 16 Oct 2014, at 11:10, Mickael Istria wrote:

On 10/16/2014 11:03 AM, Marcel Bruch wrote:
1. EF decided not to collect stack traces that stem from arbitrary external plugins for privacy reasons.
Thus I only filter for IStatus object (error messages) whose pluginId starts with org.eclipse.*.
2. I get the information about STS b/c some users disable the "anonymize stack trace“ option or because I track which plugins are on the execution stack.
3. We do not generally collect error messages from 3rd party plugins.
Thanks.
I believe now that we have reached a point of the discussion when we all agree that it seems impossible for users to make a difference between Eclipse and 3rd-party plugin, there is probably a room to open a bit more the thing to 3rd-party. I believe it would be good to also collect stacks and error from 3rd-party plugins, and show them in a different, may be private if necessary, report.
WDYT?

Speaking as board member that was present for the "call for home" policy:
We cannot gather data for anyone besides eclipse foundation based projects since it has privacy and legal liability issues connected to it.

With the privacy plugin we (code recommenders) have in the pipe, the error reporter may ask for permission to send error reports from registered 3rd party / EF member company bundles to eclipse.org as well. Key points would be wether
(i) the EF can (for legal reasons) accept those error reports,
(ii) the EF can provide the hardware resources for this,
(iii) how the error reports get to the member companies (would that need some kind of NDA?),
(iv) who will develop, maintain and improve a system that offers this as a stable and viable service to member companies.

Just to state this somewhere again:
* As much as I like the progress we have, there is a long way to go to make error reporting a product ready for large scale use.
* As stated from the very beginning, I wanted to make this a service to improve Mars *Milestones* only.
* It’s just a few weeks old and lacks quite a features.
* EF and I agreed to turn this feature off if around M6 *if* we think it’s not providing any benefit.
* It was also stated clearly from the very beginning that I don’t have plans to maintain this system after Milestone builds in my spare time.

FWIW,  to date I put ~1-3 hours of my spare time per day into this topic to learn about the characteristics of error reports.
There is still a lot of research required - and I’m leaving aside the UI completely at the moment.

Don’t get me wrong,
I strongly believe that the error reporting is an extremely valuable tool for Eclipse and every Eclipse Member Company and would love to make it happen. But it’s my humble opinion that every member company or other 3rd party company would need to support such a central service with a, say, three digit € monthly service fee to ensure it’s maintained and further developed to address the member companies' needs as good as possible. Alternatively a member company may provide a full-time developer to build such system on their own or every member company may go with commercial products like Airbrake.io (which likely won’t scale well with a setup as we have it here at Eclipse).

Marcel

Speaking as a 3rd party vendor/contributor:
Knowing the above we can't just enable gathering of *all* data, but I would love if we could somehow explicitly agree that our bundles gets included in the tracing (i.e. org.jboss.*) to help improve eclipse ecosystem overall.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen