Re: [ide-dev] Window Dressing

+1 but my biggest problem is that there are too many icons thrown at that user. Even making them look modern, it’s still overwhelming for new users. In Momentics for BlackBerry, we’ve actually hidden almost all toolbars from the user and it’s pretty clean. And even this is too many.

From: Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 3:51 AM
To: "ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Window Dressing

On 12/09/2013 11:00 PM, Miles Parker wrote:
If you gave me a small pile of cash and let me spend it on whatever I wanted to to improve Eclipse user experience*, I’d say… “Icons!"
Seriously. The current icon set is more than showing it’s age. Despite devs wanting to think that we’re above all of this, L&F _matters_, and I think a new set of core flat, simple chromatic icons would do wonders for user perception and help us all enjoy using the tooling more. It could also align w/ a move toward more web oriented tools.
I agree it's a place where much improvement can happen, and with immediate benefit for user-experience.
*I recognize that noone is ever going to do that. This is just a thought experiment. ;-D
You know, the foundation has sponsored projects logos this year. Maybe we could come to a way to get it sponsoring new icons.
I also believe that it's worth evaluating the price of such effort (how much a design company would ask for all icons). Then it could be funded by the community (of adopters and users, individual or companies) just like a kickstarter project. People commit to a donation to make it happen, and when there is enough money promised, Foundation retrieve the cash and pays for the new icons, that we integrate once they're ready.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top