Re: [ide-dev] Survey for IDE feature enhancements

+1 to Martin's comments.

Neil

On 11/27/2013 8:57 AM, Oberhuber, Martin wrote:

Seems like I’m late to the party here, so rather than skimming through the entire thread let me just ask a question:

Has it been considered to provide preconfigured “Warning Profiles” with 3 simple levels (picky, standard, relaxed) ?

I see two big workflows here:

(a)    I’m stuck with a big pile of legacy code, please don’t defocus my attention with lots of unnecessary warnings.

(b)   I’m writing some new code, please give me picky warnings to help me write clean code.

In my experience, the real annoyance is having to deal with each warning individually, and that on a global scope. I see some warning in the Problems view, what the heck is the right entry in Preferences to turn that beast off ?

Ideally the tool would be intelligent enough to know what files I have touched with new code (and enable picky warnings on those files before I checkin), but leave the old code alone without extra warnings unless I ask for them.

I’m curious what the outcome of the survey will be, but IMO there is no “one size fits most” approach to the warnings.

It’s better to make it easier fit a user’s situation (type a or type b, and allow easy turn-off of individual warnings that annoy me).

Rather than investing too much into a good single default.

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Architect – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6