Re: [ide-dev] Getting feedback on IDE

On 19/11/2013 9:28 AM, Mickael Istria wrote:
RCP apps are based on projects, not on EPP. So changing stuff in EPP wouldn't automatically cascade changes to other Eclipse-based IDE, which is a pity.
If Eclipse IDE starts this initiative to review its default configuration and improve it, I really hope all RCP applications would leverage those efforts and improvements transparently. IMO, such changes have to happen directly in project for better factorization.

I would happily  use this exact issue as a reason against changing things in the platform. Changing things which impact our adopters (e.g. organizations which embed Eclipse software in their products) is much more likely to cause unintended consequences than changing things which impact our users (e.g. people who download and use Eclipse IDEs directly from our website).

Organizations which are adopting Eclipse technologies already have the capability and the sophistication to change the default behaviours in their IDE or RCP apps if they want to.

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top