[ide-dev] what about doing less?

Hey!

I would like to propose a work item for the ide-dev working group that focuses on doing less. By that I mean instead of adding features to the existing platform and/or IDE I would love to reduce the scope, reduce the number of features, and reduce the amount of code - and focus on improving the remaining parts.

The question that drives me is not what is missing from todays code base or EPPs, but what is too much, and even if we strip things down, what is still not lightweight enough, not fast/slick/performant enough, not high-quality enough to make the Eclipse IDE a killer app again.

I (obviously) don't have ready-to-use solutions/answers for this, but I think following this direction could be interesting (make people enthusiastic about the Eclipse IDE again).

Just my few thoughts at the moment... ;-)

Cheers,
-Martin

Back to the top