Re: [ide-dev] [Crazy Idea] Humble Eclipse Bundle

Le 18/10/2013 12:27, Mickael Istria a écrit :
On 10/18/2013 11:50 AM, Cédric Brun wrote:
Reactions ?
IMO, the debate has turned too much into "how to get more money?", and has lost focus on the possible IDE improvements.

Mostly because we're stuck at having great perfect plans and nothing else will happen if we don't take this into account.

I find the idea of "let's make the member companies, which are already paying big bucks and time to the Eclipse projects, which have their own agenda and business model which is often building (and sometime sell) a better IDE than the Eclipse one, to fund this work" quite ... twisted.

That said, since we are speaking about business:
I'm trying to figure out how an employee can ask his boss to pay 30$ for the reasons you mentioned, and I have to admit that a pragmatic boss wouldn't see much benefit compared to using the free version. If the company is small and has a quick purchase process, it may work in a few cases. In big companies, it would take much time to get the purchase request approved, and such big companies have policies against individual software purchase and prefer to deal with multi-users licenses.
This kind of price  (30$ for instance) is so cheap it means IMO :
- some employees will pay for it not even asking their boss, just because they want to have better confort and/or showoff their support
- some companies will be ok by paying it through classic expense account, just like train, restaurant or whatever.

But in the end these are only speculations. How does the competition sell ? Looking through the various social networks like reddits & co, some people are deciding to pay for it on their own because they like it better and often against the company policy. It looks more like a lot of "small" purchases than a few big ones.

What would happen in that case, would a big software company only pay 30$ for some configuration and branding of their main development tool used by 1000 developers?
So:
* It's almost impossible to get money from developers.
I'm paying crappy apps for my phone, especially when I can show off, I paied for Eclipse plugins from time to time. I pay for tools which makes my life easier, I even paied for Linux distributions just to have a slightly better package and support them. Individual developpers are *paying*  179$ for a individual license of IntelliJ.

I might be wrong, I just wanted to point out : it doesn't look to hard to have a try...

* It's possible to get money from companies, but it should be much more that 30$. So you'll need to set up a license system for multi-users, which is very complicated.
You need to find a company which business model revolves around building the greatest IDE possible knowning Eclipse users will get it for free. Or a company which uses and deploy Eclipse a lot but are they really looking for non-stagnation ? Aren't they mostly interested in support, maintainance and compatibility ? And, by the way funding from a big player and such a bundle can work together.

I'm thinking such service would be a nice offering for Eclipse members (who already paid), or could be a valid business for a company who sells support for Eclipse IDE (is there already one?). But I don't see how this would make the IDE better.
By the statement that : what we cash is injected in the projects to make the IDE better.

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat