Re: [ide-dev] [Crazy Idea] Humble Eclipse Bundle

Am 18.10.2013 um 11:50 schrieb Cédric Brun <cedric.brun@xxxxxxx>:

> Here is a crazy proposal to get funding, and it's Friday so I though, why not ?

Little crazy. Let's run this under  "Friday – thinking out of the box"  :-)

> This is based on the fact that we see quite lot of IDE users - at least Java IDE users - which are willing to pay and buy an IDE several dozens or hundred of bucks.
[…]

I generally like the idea of asking users to contribute by donating money (or using kickstarter as Kaloyan proposed). The EF is asking for donations when downloading Eclipse. So, why not inside the IDE to support the projects they use? Opinions on this, however, will be quite different.

If users donate money:
I'd prefer not to donate on a per-feature basis because most things (IMHO) that need to be done is fixing issues under the user-visible surface. Models like "vote and pay for a bug" did not work in the past and I don't see any reason why this should change any time soon. It requires a user to have a particular understanding what's needed which we cannot expect someone who is not that much involved in the community.

When using kickstarter to fund some project, it may better be bound to people rather than projects because there is no authority that decides how the money is spent and who get's financed (the WG could be the authority though, or the PL).

An idea could be to have 1-3 people/teams/companies that form a task force to support project X with an agenda Y. Without going into this any further, it might be worth trying. If we start doing this, then it should get some coverage by EF, press, committers etc. Not sure if this would happen.

Marcel

Back to the top