Re: [ide-dev] IDE working group [WAS: Improving Eclipse JDT - Ecosystem]

Ian,

Thanks for raising those concerns. Few comments inline.

Am 16.10.2013 um 19:09 schrieb Ian Bull <irbull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I don't believe the problem is 'reviewing' changes, not in the technical sense. I think the problem is owning the changes once they are released. If I release a patch in p2 that makes its way to Tycho, that produces an incorrect repo, which causes the release train to grind to a halt -- I'm responsible for that. Of course the author of the patch was happy to take credit for the great work, but when push comes to shove in the middle of February and Luna M5a is broken -- I need to fix it. And I either need to explain to my boss that this should be done on company time, or I need to explain to my 6 year old that I can't take her to soccer.

I'm pretty sure that we'll find a better solution if the contributions comes from work driven by the IDEWG.

> If the original patch was provided by a competing company to better enable their product, it won't be easy to convince my boss that this is a good use of my time. The best code review system in the world (read: Gerrit) won't help here.

I don't think that will be the case for work driven by the IDEWG. I also don't see this being this case currently in any of the Eclipse IDE related projects. In theory yes but look at how many patches arrived in Bugzilla over the years for WTP enhance their support for commercial server connectors or for Team to allow a better integration with integration XYZ?

> Finally, one of Linus' strengths is his ability to say "NO", this idea is crap and it's not going in the Kernel. WONTFIX isn't something we do well at Eclipse.

But he also reviews and accepts a lot of crap without being driven by a "I must support this" fear. Well, maybe his approach is "if it ain't working I just pull it". :)

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx