Re: [ide-dev] Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ | Java Code Geeks

Some of the points are well captured, like how the different parts/languages are integrated. Some items are just bugs or feature requests that should be raised (thanks Mickael). Other things, like the missing debugger or content assist features are just wrong. Perspectives are loved or hated, but at any rate, they can be totally ignored by the user if not loved. Because Eclipse has so many different users that it tries to please, it also has (too) many options that can be configured. No matter which defaults we choose for those options, there will always be a number of people that will complain for sure.

Dani

From:        Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxx>
To:        Discussions about the IDE <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx" <eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        19.09.2013 19:15
Subject:        Re: [ide-dev] Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ | Java Code Geeks
Sent by:        ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

This is well written and points out some significant flaws. A lot of the root cause comes to the culture of Eclipse and it's organization. It's depressing to think about that since there don't seem to be any easy answers.

Thanks for bringing this Wayne. No, really :)

Doug.

[ide-dev] Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ | Java Code Geeks

FYI,

http://www.javacodegeeks.com/2013/09/why-we-dropped-eclipse-in-favour-of-intellij.html

Wayne

--