Re: [ide-dev] Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ | Java Code Geeks

That was my reaction too :). $600 per seat buys you a lot of developers…

And, yes, the inconsistencies is what drives me mad. That's been my hope that if we treat the Eclipse IDE as a single product with open communication and co-operation between all the players, we could address that. But the way Eclipse is structured at the moment, and without that $600, it's difficult to achieve.

Doug.

From: David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, 19 September, 2013 1:15 PM
To: Discussions about the IDE <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ | Java Code Geeks

By golly I think he's found the solution ... all we need to do is charge $600 for our "IDE Package" :)

In more seriousness, I think all the things he implied "you can't do with Eclipse", you in fact can ... but, agreed, inconsistencies abound (e.g. which validations you get automatically, which you have to turn on, what you have to install in order to get them (such as Dali for JPA support), etc.)