[handly-dev] More advanced example

Hi,

A more advanced example is in the plan for Handly 0.3.

Such an example should demonstrate how to implement some of the more advanced features with Handly and, ideally, spur further Handly adoption.

In particular, the following requirements for the example have been gathered via the project's forum [1]:

* "Real-world" (The existing Basic Example has been deliberately greatly contrived)
* Demonstrate how to deal with a classpath-like concept (e.g. source folders)
* Exemplify model integration with a custom text editor (i.e. non-Xtext)

Also, it should demonstrate the new UI features of Handly 0.3: outline, quick outline, working set support.

Taking all that into account, I'm currently inclining to this option:

* Example model for Java, complete with an example Java editor and an example Package Explorer.

I believe it can exemplify all the features mentioned above and is sufficiently "real-world" (despite inevitable simplifications vs. the full-fledged JDT implementation, particularly in the UI: after all, the example should remain comprehensible and stay focused on the model implementation with Handly, rather than on the "richness" of the editor and navigator, so both of them will be greatly contrived).

Besides, adopters already know Java (and probably JDT internals too), so it sounds like a useful "common ground". Also, JDT already provides important services (like parsing) that can be used by the example.

I'd like to emphasize that we are not talking about "an attempt at implementing the full-fledged (i.e. on par with JDT's) Java model with Handly"; that's not a goal of this work. The example should be "as simple as possible, but not simpler" to demonstrate use cases deemed important for Handly adopters; it will be necessarily somewhat contrived. Java is chosen simply for pragmatic reasons stated above.

Please let me know if there are any questions or comments regarding this proposal, or if you have alternative proposals. Your input is most welcome!

Best regards,
Vladimir

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/943762/

Back to the top