RE: [equinox-dev] unable to find system bundle manifest file

I’ve now tried three different ways of running the framework, the last of which seems to partially work.  Here are the details:

First, I tried to simply run while I had the org.eclipse.osgi project open from within eclipse.  I selected “Run…” from the run menu.  The Main file specified is org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter, and I gave the argument of –console.  This produced the exceptions I originally gave.

Second, I tried to export to a jar file, and then use java –jar <jarfile> -console.  When creating the jar file, I specified that the .class files from all sources should be included, as well as the META-INF folder, the .options file, the profile-list file, and several .profile files.  When I was prompted to specify whether to create a manifest file for the jar, or to use an existing one, I left the default and created a new one.  This also produced the exceptions I originally gave.

Finally, I tried exporting to a jar again, but this time instead of creating a new manifest file, I specified to use org.eclipse.osgi/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF.  Then when I try java –jar <jarfile> -console, I get the following exception, followed by the desired osgi> prompt:

osgi> org.eclipse.osgi Application error

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to acquire application service.

        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:65)

        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:374)

        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:169)

        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(EclipseStarter.java:142)

        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:210)

        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(EclipseStarter.java:142)

osgi>

What is the proper way to run org.eclipse.osgi when viewing/editing the project in Eclipse?

Thanks again for all the help,

Arjun