[equinox-dev] workspace metadata and OSGi

Hello,

Eclipse has its own concept of metadata area (a .metadata directory inside the workspace), which is where the platform configuration  (the list of currently enabled plug-ins), the platform log, and plug-ins'  state are stored.

The concept plug-in state location is equivalent to OSGi bundle's persistent storage area, which exact location is completely specific to the OSGi implementation.

I would say that with Eclipse running on OSGi, we should keep the platform metadata area inside the workspace location, while plug-ins metadata would be stored inside their persistent storage areas.

Pros:
- we will have a well known location for important data, such as platform log and configuration.
- consistency between regular bundles storage areas and plugin bundles state locations.
- no changes required on the OSGi implementation (although it would be great if the recommended OSGi implementation for running Eclipse could use the same metadata root and store their internal state there too).

Cons:
- plugin metadata exact location will depend on the OSGi implementation being used - this is bad because it makes harder to diagnose problems that require access to plug-ins metadata;.
- metadata will be split in two different places, so it will be harder  to clean up the metadata area when the user wants to start things from scratch.

Any comments?

Rafael

Back to the top