Re: [emf-dev] [CDO Releng tools] setup tool?

Am 27.12.2013 16:12, schrieb Jeremie Bresson:
Hi Eike,

Thank you for your answer. I have started to write something on your holder page. I have seen you have already improved my version.

Thank you a lot for adding the initial content and feel free to add more ;-)

Don't hesitate to ask if you want me to review something.

Now the next question:
If I want to write something about dynamic working sets, should the page be:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Setup-Eclipse/Dynamic_working_sets
or https://wiki.eclipse.org/Dynamic_working_sets
or something else as sub-page of CDO.
=> I personally do not care, but it depends how you see "dynamic working sets" (a standalone project or a sub-project of something else).

Indeed the Dynamic Working Sets are a separate feature and can be standalone. It would be nice if they get a separate wiki page, too.

I think it's a good idea to document their usage within the Setup Tool models under https://wiki.eclipse.org/Setup-Eclipse/Dynamic_working_sets .

You also asked about my use case:
I want to see if I can use the Setup tool to create the Eclipse Workspace containing the different Scout Demo Applications. This is a small use case, before trying to convince the Scout committers team (and the developers in our company).

That's great. Please note that there's already a New wizard for Setup models. It might help with the initial content. If you get stuck somewhere just let me know and I might be able to help.

Once you have a working scout.setup and the Scout team is happy with it, they can store it in their Git repo and tell me about the plain link so that I can include it in the main Configuration.setup.

This use case is also a good possibility to use the Setup tool in another context: for example GitHub instead of git at
eclipse.org.

Until I've decided about a possible commercial future of the tool for enterprise usage it is hard-coded to use the Configuration.setup URL at eclipse.org. Supporting other Open Source forges could be a different story, though. We'd need to dsicuss that in detail later ;-)

A long term vision could be to be able to propose a nice way to setup the demo workspace inside of "Eclipse for Scout Developers".

My Idea is to go step by step on your different CDO Tools. If I find time, I also like to blog about it.

Great idea. I (and in some cases Ed Merks, too) have invested a lot of time into these tools and they might well be helpful for many others, too. Your articles can help to spread the word.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de