From: egit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:egit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Andreas Sewe
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 4:53 AM
To: Matthias Sohn
Cc: EGit developer discussion
Subject: Re: [egit-dev] Auto-discovery of EGit features when installing
other features

Hi,

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Andreas Sewe
>>     If we go down the composite update site route (which I would like to
>>     avoid because of the additional roundtrips, if possible), we will
>>     probably link to one specific version of EGit that's known to work
with
>>     all the Eclipse versions Code Recommenders.
>
> I would also first try adding the discovery url

Apparently, discovery URLs don't work the way I thought they would; instead,
the discovery URL is only extracted once the feature has been successfully
installed. A classic chicken-and-egg problem. :-(

So it looks like we have to go down the composite update-site route, but
AFAIK that means exposing our users to all the features defined by EGit in
the "Install New Software" dialog. Does anyone know a way around this? I am
just interested in the EGit/JGit bundles being available to p2, I don't want
to clutter the UI with seemingly unrelated features.

Best wishes,

Andreas

--
Codetrails GmbH