[egit-dev] E git plugin not automatically recognizing git projects (when imported as a general project e git plugin does not recognize the project as a git project)

eclipse egit plugin does not recognize git projects imported as general projects, hence the team -> commit option is not available on the right click menu for git projects imported as general projects. But when the same project is imported as a git project
through -> eclipse -> import -> git, the menu appears correctly.

I observed this on ubuntu 13.10, but it does not appear in ubuntu 14.04 above.
we observed the similar issue in mac, but in some machines it works fine.

Is there a specific configuration that results in this behaviour

egit plugin version used - org.eclipse.egit_3.2.0
Is this a known bug for lower ubuntu versions?

thanks and regards
awanthika

--
Awanthika Senarath