Re: [ee4j-pmc] Jakarta EE 9 Release reviews

My assertion that release records were missing was not entirely accurate.

It turns out that many of them have dates in the past so they didn't come up on my initial search. I've identified what I believe are the correct releases and have added them to the simultaneous release record.

Jakarta EE Stable APIs has no next release. Are these dropping from Jakarta EE 9, or are you just using the same version that was released with Jakarta EE 8?

Wayne

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 4:36 PM Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the reminder note, Wayne.  I think we're running with the processes as you have defined, but it never hurts to get reminded.  Thanks.

A couple of specific comments...

>  I have received some IP Logs for, I think, two specification projects (Jakarta Activation and Jakarta Mail), so I've assumed that the project team believes that these are good to go and will start the release process, including a ballot, unless I'm instructed otherwise. As part of the process of engaging in a release, the project team needs to seek your approval; that is your opportunity to decide if the release makes any sense.

I believe Lukas is going to go ahead with the Jakarta Activation GA release.  Bill had pretty much finished that up for the 2.0 release and now Lukas is picking it up.  We've had an ongoing discussion via the Specifications PRs.  I've explained that it's fine to move forward with this activity, but do not expect that to be completed before the Jakarta EE 9 Milestone release.  If we move forward with the final release review for Activation 2.0, we should get more Spec Committee eyes on it than just mine...

Jakarta Mail is not in that same boat.  If Lukas submitted an IP log, then that was a mistake or just over excited.  :-)

>  I defer to your judgement (and that of the specification committee) regarding the timing of the reviews. I can deal with them as they arrive, or I can batch them according to your instructions ("just batch them into groups of X-ish" is sufficient direction).

Maybe we could batch them up once a week?  And, then maybe increase that as we get closer to GA.  The idea is to get these final reviews done incrementally instead of all at once like we did with Jakarta EE 8.  But, given our track record, I don't know if we'll get these PRs incrementally or not...

>  I've also noted that several projects have created multiple release records.

I actually like this approach.  It's very clear on the expected release content, especially when there are different versions of the associated release records.  This is also consistent with what we have done with MicroProfile and it's multiple release records.

>  Many projects have not yet created release records for their Jakarta EE 9 releases.

Really?  I thought we had those covered.  If there are missing records, can you let me know which ones?  I'd like to follow up. Thanks.

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect @ IBM
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: