Re: [ee4j-pmc] JAX-RS API Release

Kevin,

Sure. I is not my intention to contravene Mike or any direction from Eclipse. Ultimately, it's their call. Certainly it will be good to have clear directions.

-- Ed

On 8/16/2018 3:31 PM, Kevin Sutter wrote:
Ed,
Unfortunately, this was not clear...  I really thought that Mike was putting the brakes on doing any type of release of Jakarta EE components until the agreements are finalized.  I fully understand your approach outlined below that if no changes were done to the APIs, then we *should* be okay.  I didn't think Mike wanted to take that chance...  That's what I heard on these calls.

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Java EE architect
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn:

From:        Ed Bratt <ed.bratt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        EE4J PMC Discussions <ee4j-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, David Blevins <dblevins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        08/16/2018 04:54 PM
Subject:        Re: [ee4j-pmc] JAX-RS API Release
Sent by:        ee4j-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

David (and PMC):

(Jumping in because Dmitry is on holiday.)

I believe that these are the "equivalence" releases for Eclipse GlassFish 5.1. The goal with this first set of Eclipse Jakarta EE components is that they have exactly the same API compatibility as those used in GlassFish 5.0 (i.e. both are Java EE 8 compatible).

Since they will be tested and certified for compatibility, I believe that this is fully in compliance with the terms of the TCK agreements that are to be signed. Further, I think this is within the scope of agreements already in place since no specified APIs are changed.

I have asked Oracle developers to perform TCK verification for any components ready for Eclipse Release Review before the TCK agreement with Eclipse Foundation is signed. The TCK agreement must be finished before we can finalize Eclipse GlassFish 5.1 and use any Java EE branding. We are working to complete that discussion.

Once the agreement is in place, we can do this compatibility testing on Eclipse resources.

I thought that we'd discussed this at Steering Committee, but perhaps not clearly enough. I'd be happy to answer additional questions, here in e-mail, or at the meeting.

Cheers,

-- Ed Bratt