Re: [ee4j-pmc] Deploying snapshots to the Eclipse Maven repo

Good point, Markus. Hopefully this situation will be solved soon.
Until then, you could include changes that does not change the method signatures of the exposed/documented API. That would typically mean fixing bugs in methods (if you have any) and/or adding default implementations to interfaces etc. Not sure if it actually makes any sense...

Ivar

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 7:16 PM Markus KARG <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why should anybody want to publish a snapshot that does not contain any changes?

From: ee4j-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ee4j-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wayne Beaton
Sent: Mittwoch, 18. Juli 2018 16:42
To: EE4J PMC Discussions
Subject: Re: [ee4j-pmc] Deploying snapshots to the Eclipse Maven repo

This topic came up on the recent EE4J PMC call. The following questions will be reflected in the minutes:

  • Can the EE4J projects develop under javax? If so, which ones?
  • Can EE4J projects release snapshots?
  • Can EE4J projects release released artifacts?

Here are my answers:

We require an agreement with Oracle use to use the javax namespace. At present, we do not have an agreement in place, so we're limited in terms of what we're allowed to do. Getting this agreement in place is a high priority item, but--as you can imagine--there are a lot of high priority items that need to be addressed as we work through this period of transition. Your frustrations are understood, and your ongoing patience is appreciated.

At present, the publication of binary artifacts which include changes (or additions) to APIs in the javax namespace cannot be made available for general use. Changes to the implementation are permitted, but not to the APIs. My understanding is that this limitation applies to repo.eclipse.org.

It is okay for incompatible changes to be created in the source code (i.e. in Git repository branches).

Snapshots and releases can publish updates to binary artifacts as long as they make no modifications (or additions) to APIs within the javax namespace.

HTH,

Wayne