Re: [ee4j-pmc] Jakarta EE / EE4J Technical Vision document

Dmitry Kornilov wrote on 05/19/2018 02:14 PM:
>> Someone (the PMC?  the Platform Project Team?) needs to decide whether
>> "deprecate" means "removed immediately", "marked as do not use", "marked in
>> release X and removed in release X+1", or something else.  Having everyone
>> use a different definition of "deprecate" is not a good thing.
>

> "marked in release X and removed in release X+1” this is what I have in mind.
> Spec Committee must define what “deprecated" means for specs. Project Team
> decides what “deprecated” means for their project. There could be
> inconsistency in “deprecated” meanings in different implementations. I am not
> sure that we can standardise it.

I can imagine that it might be beneficial for there to be one set of rules for
specs and a different set of rules for projects for how they handle
deprecation.  I can't imagine that there's some great advantage in every project
"innovating" on the definition of "deprecate".  If a project wants to do
something that doesn't match the PMC-defined approach for deprecation, they
should just call it something else (e.g., "retirement", "removal",
"abandonment", etc.).  The PMC can decide whether that's acceptable when they
review the release.

Back to the top