From: ee4j-community-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ee4j-community-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Markus KARG
Sent: 07 February 2018 20:56
To: 'EE4J community discussions' <ee4j-community@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ee4j-community] [eclipse.org-membership-at-large] Proposed EE.next Working Group

You asked for feedback on the proposed charter. I completely dislike the idea of separate membership levels, particularly the fact that industry will per definition have more votes than committers. The motto should be "one man, one vote" and not "one paying vendor, four non-elected seats". The explanation in the FAQ is wrong: "Strategic members are the vendors that deliver Java EE implementations. As such they are typically putting in the largest number of contributors, and are leading many of the projects." First of all, strategic members not necessarily are providing anything; the simply pay a lot of $. In your definition, there cannot be Java EE implementations provided by non-paying members, which clearly rules out some existing initiatives. Looking at some JSRs I need to say that there had been some EGs where more work had been done by individuals than by strategic members. Also, there are Java EE implementations provided by small companies which cannot or do not want to pay thousands of $. What you currently plan is not in the best interest of the Java universe, but in the interest of particularly big industrial vendors only. This is not what I or JUGs want. We want power in the hands of democratically elected people, but not in the hands of the industry. This will make funding harder, but democracy should be worth it. Please change the charter so only elected individuals can serve, serving will be free always, and there will not be any membership levels.

-Markus