Re: [ee4j-community] An open proposal for the direction of future Java EE Naming

Excuse my ignorance, but how can Eclipse Entperise for Java be valid and not Extensions for Java EE?

El mar., 23 ene. 2018 17:22, Mike Milinkovich <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
Ondrej,

EE4J will not be the brand name. I am not sure why this suggestion keeps popping up, as I don't know how I could have been any more clear. On behalf of everyone involved in this migration, I apologize for my apparent failure to communicate effectively. If you have any suggestions on how I can be clearer, please let me know.

Similarly, I don't know how Will could have been more clear in his email you attached below that Java EE is not the name going forward. "Java EE" as a name and brand is owned and controlled by Oracle, via the JCP. Since the JCP is not going to be used going forward, using Java EE (even as a suffix) doesn't seem like a viable option.

FWIW, our legal analysis shows that there are at least a couple of the names suggested by the community that may be plausibly trademarked. But we need a couple of more days before we can talk publicly about which they are. Please watch this space.

On 2018-01-23 5:31 AM, Ondrej Mihályi wrote:
Dear EE4J PMC, Eclipse and Oracle representatives.

We've seen an already lengthy discussion about a new Java EE brand name. I acknowledge that most of the suggested names couldn't pass legal restrictions by various involved parties.

However, I feel that the only name currently accepted by the EE4J PMC is EE4J itself. I have multiple reasons to be afraid that this is very impractical and inconvenient brand for a continuation of the Java EE platform. But before explaining them, I would like to propose another direction to choose the final brand.

I propose to consider using a naming pattern of "<something> for Java EE". An example would be "Extensions for Java EE" or "Components for Java EE" or "Specifications for Java EE".

The short form could be Ext4JavaEE, E4JavaEE, C4JavaEE, E4JEE, I don't want to propose concrete names or short forms. I only think it's important to keep Java EE in the full name to keep the link with the original platform.

The idea is based on the fact that Java as a word is allowed to be used in the form of "..for Java". Similarly, it should be legally OK to use the pattern "...for Java EE".

I've already discussed this proposal with other influential people in the community before coming here. I've got only positive reactions, I was really surprised I didn't receive any hesitant or negative feedback. You may have a look at the discussions on Twitter or on the Java EE Guardians group.

In the end, I'll summarize my objections against using EE4J as the brand name and for using a brand that relates to Java EE better:

- EE4J is already a top level Eclipse project and while its main focus is on Java EE, we've also discussed that MicroProfile could be transferred under the same top level project. So EE4J isn't only about Java EE

- the name EE4J doesn't reflect its relationship with Java EE well enough, it only refers to Java (with 4 Java at the end) and with the double E as a hint to Java EE

- the name EE4J already includes the word Eclipse, which isn't appropriate for a brand name since it's already in the name if it's prefixed with Eclipse (Eclipse EE4J). Also, many people could correlate the new name to the Eclipse IDE and could think that it's a collection of IDE plugins aimed at enterprises. For that reason it would be better to use the name Eclipse E4J instead, loosing the double E as the last link to the old Java EE name

- last but not least, the community seems to extremely dislike EE4J as a new brand for Java EE, because it goes against the values of Java EE and the community. Among those values are continuity, clarity, and integrity. And by integrity, I mean that for years we've kept telling people that the correct name is Java EE. And with a name like EE4J we would have to educate people again and do a lot of explaining.

Dear EE4J PMC and others,

I hope that under these arguments you'll reconsider the current direction of the decision-making of the new brand name and you'll evaluate the suggested approach, trying to address the points above.

Kind regards,
Ondro Mihályi

Well put Ryan.  I totally agree.