Re: [ee4j-community] Feedback to Joint Community Open Letter on Java EE Naming and Packaging

On 2018-01-18 5:09 AM, Ralph Soika wrote:
A committed community that evangelizes is the best type of marketing there is. Thank you for your continued support and dedication.

First of all, I would like to thank you for this open and transparent discussion on such an important topic as the future of Java EE and Ee4J.

We at Imixs are just a small open source project and cannot contribute directly. Nevertheless, I think that this part of the community  has to get again the chance to contribute more (as at the time of Sun). Even if the contribution arises only through questions that help us to share knowledge..

I would like to make a point that I personally never really understood :

Basically, Java EE has always been a component architecture in which individual components can be distributed independently of each other. Similar to eclipse plugin concept. Unfortunately, this aspect had often disappeared. Mostly only monolithic enterprise applications developed by the large industry were seen as the only use case for Java EE.
We at Imixs are an open source project that develops a workflow engine based on a standalone EJB component.
It would be great if something like a component market would be developed similar to the Eclipse market place. This could help to build a community from the ground up again.

Ralph,

The Eclipse Marketplace is a general purpose facility that could be extended to meet the requirements of the EE4J community if there is demand. In 2017 we added an IoT marketplace for example. I think it's a little early to start on this, but when the time comes we do have the infrastructure.

HTH

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx