Re: [ee4j-community] JCP and existing specs

On 2017-12-01 6:08 AM, Heiko Rupp wrote:
On 1 Dec 2017, at 11:57, Markus KARG wrote:

The plan to code first and then ask another institution for standardization was publicly confirmed at EclipseCon 2018

I did not understand it that way. Rather that a EE4JCP would
still need to be established.
Code first was meant, from how I understood it, to have something
to discuss with users so that it gets "hardened" before cast in
stone^wspec text.

Heiko's interpretation is the correct one.

Future EE-related specs will be done via a new process under the auspices of the Eclipse Foundation. This new process has not yet been created, but it will be. I am not sure how this is confusing as Oracle, along with IBM , Red Hat, and the Eclipse Foundation have stated this clearly and publicly several times. (I am writing this on an airplane or I would provide links. Sorry about that.)

I believe that it is accurate to say that the JCP is the only place where a Java specification can be created today. But there will not be a Java EE 9 defined via the current JCP Process.

"Code first" was meant to say that as an open source organization and community we believe that the code comes first. Plus, simply moving over all of the existing Java EE projects is a huge job. The plan is to move the projects under the EE4J umbrella, and then ship a Java EE 8 compliant release from EE4J. That will exercise all of the incubation, open source development, and IP policies of the Eclipse Foundation, demonstrate that we have a functioning PMC, and show that the EE4J community is operating under the open source rules of engagement.

In parallel with that we will be establishing a new specification process, a new brand, and an Eclipse working group.

It is going to be quite the ride, so please fasten your seat belts :)

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top