Re: [eclipselink-users] Eclipselink Vs Hibernate

I'm not very familiar with these Hibernate extensions, so will do my best to
comment on this.

First off, EclipseLink offers many advanced features not in Hibernate:
- Moxy - object-XML mapping and JAXB
- SDO
- DBWS - database webservices
- EIS
- OR data-type mappings
- Caching and cache coordination
- extended Oracle database and JDBC integration
- TopLink Grid uses EclipseLink

Also many new features are being developed in EclipseLink 2.0 as the JPA 2.0
reference implementation, including the criteria API.

1. Hibernate Validator
- From Hibernate's website this seems to be obsolete, or replaced with "JSR
303: Bean Validation".  So would seem to have little to do with Hibernate
any more, and any such implemention could be used with any persistence
product including EclipseLink.

2. Hibernate Search
- I think Lucene also has an EclipseLink integration.

3. Enhanced Query Facilities like the DetachedCriteria and the HQL on top of
JPQL
- EclipseLink Expressions are always detached, and can even be serialized.
- EclipseLink is adding many JPQL enhancements as part of JPA 2.0.

4. Threadsafeness and Non-blocking data access
- EclipseLink is always thread-safe and non-blocking, and extensive work is
put into ensuring EclipseLink is the most peformant persistence product.

5. Hibernate Shards
- I'm not that familiar with this, but I believe it is similar to
EclipseLink's SessionBroker feature.

saasira wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   May I request the eclipselink community to enlighten me on certain
> aspects
> of eclipselink where I could not find convincing answers when eclipselink
> is
> compared with hibernate?
>   Before I start let me make it very clear that I'm not a hibernate fan
> and
> I just want to confirm that eclipselink is not lagging behind in certain
> areas where hibernate advertises
>   that it excels; on the other hand I don't want to bring back the
> infamous
> ORM wars with this mail :)
>
>   To start with, here are the feaures the hibernate website highlights:
>
>      1. *Hibernate Validator* <https://www.hibernate.org/412.html>
>      2. *Hibernate Search* <https://www.hibernate.org/410.html>
>      3. Enhanced *Query Facilities* <https://www.hibernate.org/347.html>,
> like the DetachedCriteria and the HQL on top of JPQL
>      4. Threadsafeness and Non-blocking data access
>      5. Google Contributed *Hibernate
> Shards*<https://www.hibernate.org/414.html>
>

>    I know how simplified and powerful Eclipselink native Expression API is
> (should I tell you how much I loathe the hibernate criteria API? ), but
> not
> sure if it can be used when the database session is closed, for
> example to build the query from UI layer; and I did not find any JPQL
> enhancements either by eclipselink.
>
>    Also, I found in my googling a search library called Compass which is
> based on Lucene that can be used with eclipselink for searching, but not
> sure how eclipselinkish ( if i can use the word ) its API is while on the
> other hand hibernate search is very much integrated with hibernate core.
>
>    When it comes to shards, I think eclipselink does not have this as of
> now
> (may this be taken as a feature request?).
>
>    Please correct me if have presented anything wrongly here; my intention
> is to get  a better picture of where eclipselink stands when compared to
> hibernate in the above said feature list.
>
>   I know hibernate is no match when it comes to the breadth of the variety
> of datasources that eclipselink supports; but I want to narrow the
> comparision to where hibernate has some foothold and can
>   compete with the monster :)
>
>   The reason I'm doing this is to fight with my friends who work on
> hibernate and tell them that theirs is not the whole world and much more
> lies out side of the confines they have set themselves in.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Samba

-----
http://www.eclipse.org/eclipselink/