Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Fwd: [technology-pmc] Request for Neon.1 repository update - Problem with Git HTTP Authentication

+1

Thanks,
Markus

On 5 October 2016 at 14:49, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
FYI Eclipse Planning Council

This is a serious enough request with support from the Technology PMC for a Neon.1 respin

Please ask any questions or simply vote +1 for your support on this:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carsten Reckord <reckord@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 5:39 AM
Subject: [technology-pmc] Request for Neon.1 repository update - Problem with Git HTTP Authentication
To: Technology PMC <technology-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Technology PMC,

As I wrote last week, we have identified a serious issue in Neon.1 that prevents the use of EGit with repositories using HTTP with authentication. The problem was introduced by MPC's version in Neon.1, which tried to work around problems caused by EGit's replacement of the global java.net.Authenticator. Details can be found on bug http://eclip.se/501000. A new version of MPC that disables the problematic behavior is available[1]. The fix has been confirmed by various parties by now.

I have talked with Ian, and we think that due to the impact on the user community, this is serious enough to ask for a respin / update of the Neon.1 simultaneous release repository to make the fixed MPC available to all users via "Check for Updates...". The consensus on the bug is the same.

So I would like to ask for the Technology PMC's support for a simrel update. Ian, I believe your +1 is required here as MPC project lead.

Please note that in order to provide the MPC update in the simrel repository, the EPP package features will need to be rebuilt, since MPC is not a root feature, see http:// eclip.se/501000#c40. Also, the discussion thread on the bug by now includes discussion on the original issue, on the resulting problem in EGit, and on how to best ship the fix. If preferred, I can open a new bug specifically for the fix that should go into the requested update, and summarize the relevant information there.

Best regards,
Carsten Reckord

--
Yatta Solutions GmbH