[eclipse.org-committers] The EMO will be offline from December 22 2023 until January 2 2024

Greetings Eclipse Committers.

The EMO will be offline from December 22 2023 until January 2 2024. We will not be monitoring the EMO, EMO Records, EMO IP Team, Trademarks, or License inboxes during this time period. The IT team will be operating at reduced capacity. For technical support, please open an issue on the Eclipse Foundation Help Desk.

The recording for our last Committer Office Hours session of 2023, titled December 2023 Updates, has been posted on the website.

One of the main themes of this last session was that, as the services that are available to us and the expectations of the communities we serve change, so too must our practices change. To that end, for example, the EMO has been engaged in an effort to help Eclipse project teams move more and more information closer to project content and better leverage the services provided by GitLab and GitHub. This has taken the form, for example, of the EMO working with you to ensure that README, CONTRIBUTING, CODE_OF_CONDUCT, SECURITY, ... files are present in the root of your Git repositories. More and more, the community finds your content through your Git repositories, and having the information there is the best way to set potential contributors up for success.

The next stage of this is to generate SBOMs. To help you create SBOMs, we've started developing some practices that you can follow to add SBOM generation to your builds. Please use this information to configure your build scripts (and share your experience via the issue tracker on that repository). Your assistance with this now, or early in the new year, will help us in our efforts to continue to evolve our practices. Note that we do have an effort underway to generate SBOMs for Eclipse IDE products (there are some pointers in this issue).

Many thanks to the project teams who have already added SBOM generation to your builds. These are helpful to us as we continue to develop and evolve practices around their generation and dissemination. We are temporarily listing the SBOMs that we know about here (note that this page is not currently discoverable on the website).

If you have comments or discussion related to any of the above, or any other aspects of your work as a committer, please open an issue on a topic-specific issue tracker or Help Desk.

If you've made it all the way to the bottom of this message, you deserve a reward! For this, and for all of your hard work as an Eclipse Committer, you are entitled to receive the Committer Badge. To receive the badge, send a note with your request to emo-records@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. As mentioned above, we're all going to be pencils down for a bit, so you may need to be patient.

We all look forward to working with you in the new year.

Wayne
--

Wayne Beaton

Director of Open Source Projects | Eclipse Foundation

My working day may not be your working day! Please don’t feel obliged to read or reply to this e-mail outside of your normal working hours.

Back to the top