[eclipse.org-committers] Projects with non-committer committers

Greetings folks,

The Eclipse Foundation maintains a strict list of committers who are approved to commit, push and merge changes to Eclipse Project repositories. The EF uses a sync script to ensure GitLab and GitHub teams are in sync with our committer records.

We have deployed a new version of the committer sync script today and one of its newest features is removing non-committers that were added to projects by other means than the sync mechanism. Previously, the script was only adding/removing users to/from groups.

A Project Lead with Maintainer role can, among other permissions,  add members in GitLab. However, a project lead with Maintainer privileges are not allowed to add committers. A proper following of the Eclipse Development Process must be maintained.

With the recent execution of the sync, some non-committers that were added by Project Leads were stripped of their committer permissions. If your project is in this scenario, please comment on https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/issues/1508 so we can help you realign.  We are in the process of compiling a list of those projects involved.

Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. I am providing a link to the Eclipse Development Process document:

https://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/

Denis

--

Denis Roy

Director, IT Services | Eclipse Foundation

Twitter: @droy_eclipse

Back to the top