[eclipse.org-committers] Upcoming and proposed changes to the Eclipse infra

Greetings folks,

This issue is action packed, so I'll try to keep it short.

Decommission build.eclipse.org - https://eclip.se/565644

We're planning on decommissioning the venerable build.eclipse.org server soon. We'll post updates in the bug, and we'll schedule brown-outs, and we don't think this will have any impact on most of our projects.

Turn off git:// protocol on git.eclipse.org - https://eclip.se/574076

For those using git.eclipse.org, we're wondering how useful the git:// protocol is, as the https protocol is available for anonymous Git operations. In addition to using a secure channel, https is also ubiquitous and doesn't require any corporate firewall tweaking. The current git:// service is hosted on antique servers that are on the chopping block, and rather than move the service, we'd rather turn it off. Please switch to https in your builds if you haven't done so already, and/or voice your concerns in the bug.

Eclipse CI (Jiro) - what's happening?

Our Releng team has been working hard over the past two years to migrate all CI instances to a Kubernetes-powered cluster. While the migration effort is nearing its completion, we are struggling with some growing pains. Today's CI cluster hosts 253 Jenkins-based CI-instances, and many projects have reported slow build times [1]. We've since been moving file systems, storage devices, network segments and upgrading cluster nodes with SSDs to help speed up your builds. Many thanks for your patience while we address this issue.

Eclipse GitLab - https://gitlab.eclipse.org/

We've had much success in migrating Eclipse projects to our GitLab instance. If you're using git.eclipse.org you may want to consider migrating to GitLab. If you're interested, or if you have any questions about the process, please file an issue here: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/gitlab/-/issues  We're here to help.

Thanks for reading! Please follow-up on the referenced bugs if you wish to comment, or have any questions or concerns.

[1] https://eclip.se/571952

--

Denis Roy

Director, IT Services | Eclipse Foundation

Twitter: @droy_eclipse

Back to the top