Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] E4 probably too late?

Andrey Platov schrieb:
Hi Ed,

As for Jim van Dam's approach, I'd agree - it is not only compelling, it's natural aproach to UI development and similar to JavaFX/UI. The devil in the details: how we will transform higher level UI abstractrions into final representation. Atomic block in "old UI" composition is a widget. Atomic block in JavaFX/WPF is a 2D graphics primitive. These technologies treat Classical Widget as a composite of lower-level primitives, and these primitives available on every platform (which is not true for Widget-based approach) - just to support Jim van Dam's run everywhere point. This is not conceptual shift, but
1) few years ago we were not able to develop such UIs due to CPU/GPU performance limitations (and this was main reason why SWT was born).

Well so you suggest that SWT is going away from native widgets drawing everything on the GC? I agree with you that there are amazing things one can do. Seeing controls like [1] are amazing but the problem I see is how to make them cross-platform (e.g. draw them in browser).

Tom

[1]http://www.hexapixel.com/ribbon/

tom schindl                               leiter softwareentwicklung/CSO
eduard-bodem-gasse 8/3    A-6020 innsbruck      phone    ++43 512 935834

Back to the top