Re: [eclipse-dev] Eclipse and Equinox 4.30 (2023-12) RC1 Reminder

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 6:15 PM Jörg Kubitz via eclipse-dev <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, does "changes to documentation" include changes to javadoc?

I would say fixes or clarification in the javadoc can be included in RCs; but cosmetic changes should only be included if the bundle is already modified for the next build.

Indeed, a benefit of reproducible qualifier in Platform build is that the artifact/splugins are unchanged between builds if there have been no changes; if the artifact (plugin) is unchanged for 2 weeks, then it's more likely that potential issues are better covered after those 2 weeks. If it is modified then the artifact is suddenly different and we may loose a bit of historical coverage/trust in it (which is something we try to avoid in RCs).
Loosing this status for payload change (Javadoc is payload change) is fine because those change increase the externally perceived quality without introducing much risk; but cosmetic changes are less interesting as they do not increase noticeably the external quality and are probably not worth re-creating new artifacts in RC phase when we can keep the same ones for 1 month of stabilization.

HTH

Back to the top