Re: [eclipse-dev] Community interactions

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 4:22 PM <jkubitz-eclipse@xxxxxx> wrote:

Why democratic? Eclipse is meriocratic. Only active committers should have a vote. With “active” in the sense of supportive reviewing x commits of other companies within the last y month.

We prune inactive committers every year. So if we go really meriocratic how do we measure it by number of commits ? Looking at https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/eclipse/who  Sravan, Andrey, Sarika, Kalyan Mickael and I can decide on anything and everyone else will have to live with it? Every new person will have his/her voice heard only after years? I don't think this is the right way to build and grow a community.
Furthermore, this is mandated by the Eclipse Development process (https://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/#4_1_Committers) - "All Project Committers have equal rights and responsibilities within the Project". Further discussions on the topic are not for the project - they should be taken with Committer representatives at Eclipse Board of Directors (https://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/directors.php), convince them this is the right thing to do and Eclipse Foundation changing the law. Before that nothing will change with regards to that.

Currently technically even hertitage of dead committers still have access and keep getting CCed. Which is confusing…when a bugzilla CCs soooo many email people which turn out to be dev/null.

Being CCed doesn't mean anything - neither that you have voting powers, neither that you're committer nor you ever have been nor you ever contributed anything. It just means one registered for bugs.eclipse.org account, went to account settings and decided to follow some accounts.

Why has Andrey (just to name a  good example), who is working day+night+weekend on eclipse, not more vote power then people who just send an email “I want still have commit rights” once a year?

I explained the "why" above. There is something in the project power to do though - it's up to us about rules to keep committership (in the laws defined by EDP of course!).
If many of you think this is not fair and there should be more aggressive retirement of committers please come up with a detailed proposal who, how, when, why should be able to keep committership, this would be checked to not conflict with EDP, voted upon and if successful applied from that point on.