I'm also curious as to why the value of the registry key doesn't include the substituted username in your case by default, I checked on my Windows 7 machine and found that the value of the registry key has the actual substituted username of the account instead of %username%. Perhaps it would be more useful to figure out the reason for this so that the intended behavior of using the correct user's Desktop folder path can be achieved.

HTH,
Arun

Inactive hide details for Cyrus Tsang ---07-01-2017 07:16:36 PM---Hi Eclipse-Dev,Cyrus Tsang ---07-01-2017 07:16:36 PM---Hi Eclipse-Dev,

From: Cyrus Tsang <cyrustsang@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 07-01-17 07:16 PM
Subject: [eclipse-dev] How does Eclipse runtime make use of the Shell Folders/Desktop registry key?
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Eclipse-Dev,

I have a question regarding an Eclipse based application and was wondering if someone could help.

The application is built on Eclipse 4.3.1 (64 bit), running on Windows server 2008 R2 (64 bit).

When I launch the application from an administrative user account, it creates a folder C:\Users\%username%\Desktop. This is because my registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Desktop

has the value of:

C:\Users\%username%\Desktop

However, when I launch the application from a non-administrative user account, I get the following error:

Java was started by returned exit code=13
-Xmx512M
-Djava.class.path=C:\Program Files\Apps\MyApplication\plugins\org.eclipse.quinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20130327-1440.jar
-os win32
-ws win32
-arch x86
-showsplash
-launcher C:\Program Files\Apps\MyApplication\MyApp.exe
-name MyApp
--launcher.library C:\Program Files\Apps\MyApplication\plugins\org.eclipse.quinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.2--.v20130807-1835\eclipse_1503.dll
-startup C:\Program Files\Apps\MyApplication\plugins\org.eclipse.quinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20130327-1440.jar
--launcher.overrideVmargs
-vm C:\Program Files\Apps\MyApplication\\jre/jre/bin\j9vm\jvm.dll
-vmargs
-Xmx512M
-Djava.class.path=C:\Program Files\Apps\MyApplication\plugins\org.eclipse.quinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20130327-1440.jar

This might be because the non-administrative user do not have sufficient right to create the folder C:\Users\%username%\Desktop. (But the non-administrative user should have sufficient right to write to their own Desktop path??)

The application would start without error if I hardcoded the value of the "Desktop" registry (i.e. without the use of %username%, like so:

C:\Users\MyUserName\Desktop

I also noticed that if I deleted the "Desktop" registry key, the application would start fine too.

I have checked folder permissions on the C:\Users\MyUserName and C:\Users\MyUserName\Desktop, both of them have "owner" permission level.

Given this, I was wondering if you could provide some information about how the Eclipse runtime make use of the "Desktop" registry key and why does it seem like the application could only resolve the %username% variable as an administrative user? While for the non-administrative user, the registry key has to be hardcoded?

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Cyrus Tsang

WebSphere MQ L3 Software Engineer