Re: [eclipse-dev] [cross-project-issues-dev] Please remove references to gif files in platform.ui bundles

Hi Marc,

That is also how I did the replacement in platform.ui.

Best regards, Lars

Am 16.09.2015 6:34 nachm. schrieb "Marc Khouzam" <marc.khouzam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi Lars,

Any recommendations on how to do this?

The way I used was tedious, but I got through it in an hour.
I searched for the string .gif in all the CDT repo, then went through the results and looked for image path prefixes that
pointed to the platform.  I actually found some images being opened from org.eclipse.ui and org.eclipse.debug.ui.
I've changed all those to use the .png instead.
http://eclip.se/477610

I wonder if there is a more efficient way for others to use?

Thanks

Marc
From: cross-project-issues-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [cross-project-issues-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Lars Vogel [lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: September 16, 2015 6:03 AM
To: Cross project issues; General development mailing list of the Eclipse project.
Subject: [cross-project-issues-dev] Please remove references to gif files in    platform.ui bundles

In the last two releases we replaced the gif in platform.ui with png
files. The gifs are currently still present in platform.ui adding to
the download size of Eclipse. For Eclipse 4.6 M3 we are planning to
remove them (except the ones for views and editors to avoid NPE's as
these are cached in some cases).

The purpose why we are removing the gif files is to reduce the
download size of Eclipse. Other projects like PDE and JDT removed the
gif directly during the conversion to avoid this additional load.

Best regards, Lars

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058