Re: [eclipse-dev] HOT LOADING of JARS

On the 2.2. plan there is an item:

( new) Allow plug-in deactivation. In order to scale to a large number of plug-ins, Eclipse does not
activate a plug-in until its code is actually needed. However, once
activated a plug-in remains active for the remainder of the session.
Unfortunately, this means that an active plug-in will occupy memory space
for its code and objects even if it is only used occasionally. Many users
have sessions lasting days or weeks, and this bloat taxes processor memory
and JVM performance. The analogy is a long play where the actors enter the
stage on cue, but cannot leave it until the play is over. The Eclipse
Platform should support plug-ins that can be safely deactivated when the
user needs to recover valuable memory space. Another alternative is to
provide a way to quietly shutdown and restart the Platform. [Platform
Core, Platform UI]

While this doesn't directly address hotswapping, it is very close to the
problem:  if you can unload a plugin, its not that far a stretch to be
able to hotswap.

Note that to hotswap you will need to not only be able to unload classes,
but to unload the plugin info as well since this may also have changed,
and these affect downstream plugins.  So the problem is non trivial and I
don't expect that there would be a workaround in the current eclipse.

As someone else noted, the current standard practice is to launch a second
eclipse using your project directory as the plugin directory.

Kevin

"Roques, Olivier " <oroques@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
01/22/2003 09:31 AM