[eclipse-dev] No more importing binary projects without copying

FYI: Starting with the next integration build, the option to import binary
projects as plug-ins without copying the content will be removed from PDE
import wizard. Consequently, the button in the second page (External
Projects) will also be removed because it will become redundant.

As many of you have experienced, importing without copying results in
Eclipse writing content directly into the installation tree (.classpath,
.project, .launch and other hidden files). An attempt to replace a project
with the version from the repository results in corrupting the
installation. Deleting files in the repository ends up with corrupting the
installation. Finally, we are about to move to the mechanism for shipping
source code whereby source zips will be outside the plug-in directories (in
a parallel tree under '<home>/eclipse/src'). WIth the new mechanism, source
attachements would be outside the workspace.

We know that importing with copying content takes more time and makes your
workspace larger, but the alternative (corrupting the installation tree) is
simply unacceptable for any Eclipse-based product.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Application Development
D2/MY7/8200/MKM