[ecf-dev] ECF third party dependencies
  • From: Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 11:48:12 -0700
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1;
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; d=oxsus-vadesecure.net; s=arc-202309-rsa2048; t=1711997300; c=relaxed/relaxed; h=from:reply-to:subject:date:to:cc:resent-date:resent-from:resent-to:resent-cc:in-reply-to:references:list-id:list-help:list-unsubscribe:list-subscribe:list-post:list-owner:list-archive; bh=SmqQ++sAZZKQrG+o2RKX7+Wbftez0WJeCqmtr33GkcI=; b=CfVGRlwnGpHT6U1jzh/Toy61WQQC10eb/XdY8SjqXxpucENMNcpHx+UfXlI7SpTeV+eQCiq6oWFXjpUKoRhuq/i3cR0r2UPJMJc/ZH7hGV4Jry/iGQ8QTyDVOROXtbeH2Mmd9yiURBuEgacT3md1iz3XV00/6F0uvzKGVPsONRat5aQmN4pYLGhzR9x48w4qNkVGt9kRZTqSIpTC2C/3C5qLgPGBBHmxY6KRlY4dVexVLrd7Q986Y9Kq0Yail3vnQGuDg65lUZPVkYkWp2Bz2SUvkAGjjHlHy6jKzAyfTfETNVwqkooVukb/3XtPYd7g5DDQZH+R2e/Hwu0XvO9i3g==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; d=oxsus-vadesecure.net; s=arc-202309-rsa2048; t=1711997300; cv=none; b=ggO/mrqnrLWTTNxaXrLBKk9VRoBX+cDQfH06vbwAP1i+M/si80I4udoAdDgR3W19MTtA4usw1eyR1Y+01sut3YS7hoT/qDkZyR1L0hi4bKRjR1KeClkZn0RWUopMGFk8cyrtiuUMc3iJtlJ+ualRjvVaoNakKHE9lI9X4KqI4QVoP4Y0i63F5O3FXzx5dHgVOKsuuPMXu+K+S3wx+6I41i4eLgS2SbG3DBJSrfcB9gHt9qikrz+AeKMrycxixC2GBhmJVoc72qUc1TzpmZx/kKTpBNzboOgQJlLlM7LUYepy1Fxp08ecEM/IuT7RglLrQeTlszp0Z6ahpbcGkkCycw==

Hi ECF folks,

Hope all of you are well.  Some water under the bridge since I last communicated on this mailing list.  My apologies for that.

Contrary to appearances, the ECF project is still very much alive and kicking.   Actually, remote services has been moving along quite a bit over the past few years...e.g. support for gRPC distribution provider, bndtools-based tooling (e.g. osgi services wizard in bndtools 7.1, bndtools code generation for gRPC/protoc, gRPC streaming support with reactive API, publish to maven central, osgi remote services test suite uses ECF remote services for testing, other new discovery [etcd] and distribution [Hazelcast] providers, bndtools workspace and project template, move to github [1] and [2], etc).

There are, however, some housekeeping chores needed wrt use of (now very old) third party dependencies.  Ed Merks has identified the oldest of these (that haven't been updated) in this [3] issue.

I have yet to go all the dependencies that Ed lists but I think they mostly fall into 3 categories

1) The ones associated with supporting (now) old/unused by platform versions of httpclient/httpcomponents.   I will deal with these, json and com.sun.syndication dependencies.

2) The dependencies associated with the ECF zookeeper discovery provider.   I think this is basically an old version of log4j, and the apache zookeeper lib.  I would ask that Wim Jongman (who was the original author of zookeeper discovery provider) let me know how he would like this to be dealt with.   My inclination is to deprecate/no longer deploy the 3.9 version of zookeeper provider and remove it's old dependencies from the ECF target platform. Wim please let me know if that sits with you and/or something else should happen.

3) The dependency (org.xbill.dns) associated with the ECF dnssd discovery provider.  This discovery provider was originally written by Markus Kuppe, and so I would ask that Markus please let me know if I/we should/could do something other than deprecate the dnssd discovery provider.

Thanksinadvance to Wim and Markus for letting me know.

Thanks to the rest of you.  I've missed working with you on ECF. I personally intend to continue to work in 2024 on/improve the remote services tooling (especially bndtools-based tooling) around ECF remote services, with an emphasis on the gRPC bndtools-based tooling (osgi service wizard, gRPC code generation, etc).

Best,

Scott

[1] https://github.com/eclipse/ecf

[2] https://github.com/ECF