[ecf-dev] New topic in forum Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF), called Selecting best implementation for Remote Service, by Alain Picard

Title: Eclipse Community Forums
Subject: Selecting best implementation for Remote Service Author: Alain Picard Date: Thu, 28 December 2017 15:56
We have been using r-OSGI for many years in one of our product, but for another product we are looking at the best implementation given some of our constraints.

We have a server with local RCP clients, which also serves web content and provides REST/JSON services. Due to security and firewalls we have to run all communications over HTTPS/SSL (standard port 43).

This has lead me to run some tests with the r-OSGI/ Web socket implementation and also looked at support for multiple providers (i.e. REST) which is great.

Questions are, on the discovery front we have a single server (at the moment) and don't think we can use discovery with Zeroconf or SLP given our network limitations. What is best solution, would still like to discover what the server is offering. Almost considering using EDEF right now, which I tested, but that doesn't seem to be optimal. From reading it seems that generic server has built in discovery through shared objects (from old slides "• Connected clients see all service proxies"). Also from discussions http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Proposal-Lightweight-standalone-remote-OSGi-implementation-for-karaf-cellar-td4045343.html
it does appear the the generic server might be faster. Would that then be the way to go as we expect quite a bit of "traffic". But it seems that the websocket implementation is for r-OSGI even if the original (https://github.com/videonext/ECF-WebSocket) seemed to have been an implementation for ecf-generic-server.

What is the suggested path forward.

Thanks for your help and insight.

Alain

[ Reply ][ Quote ][ View Topic/Message ][ Unsubscribe from this forum ]

Back to the top