Re: [ecf-dev] org.xbill.dns

On 07.06.2017 18:16, Cristiano Gavião wrote:
> What I'm looking for is alternatives for a world wide service discovery
> (without much or any configuration), in order to detect multiples OSGi
> nodes that will be installed on different networks.
>
> I'm investigating some options, one of them is dnssd which a friend have
> pointed me (http://www.dns-sd.org). I found that you played wit it and
> ECF some years ago...
>
> It would be great to hear about your experiments... ;)

Hi Cristiano,

how frequent do your service endpoints change? Due to its excessive
caching, DNS is not a good fit if your endpoints change permanently. On
the other hand, if your services are fairly stable and you need almost
linear scalability, then DNS is perfect.

Obviously, DNS is passive. It does not push changes to the service
consumers, which e.g. the Zookeeper ECF discovery provider does.

M.

PS: Note, that the current org.xbill.dns bundle apparently has problems
with Java9. But with Java9 being pretty much in flux, it's possible that
the issues will have disappeared in the final Java9 release.

Back to the top