[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [ecf-dev] DNS-SD discovery provider - org.xbill.dns dependency
- From: Markus Alexander Kuppe <ecf-dev_eclipse.org@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 00:05:56 +0200
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.8.0
On 14.04.2017 16:44, Scott Lewis wrote:
> According to this bug:
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=515241 it seems that the
> org.xbill.dns Orbit bundle...upon which our dnssd implementation
> depends...imports classes from the sun.* namespace. Unfortunately,
> with Java 9 this breaks.
> What do you recommend we do about this? I think we need to do something
> about it prior to Oxygen (with final scheduled maintenance release for
> ECF at beginning of May), as Java 9 support is intended.
given my own commitments, I'm afraid this is one where the community has
to step in. Otherwise, we will probably have to remove dns-sd from the
ECF distribution if Java 9 compatibility is a hard requirement (although
I don't understand why we would want to effectively break < Java 9
consumers). First somebody needs to find out though, if dns-sd triggers
the affected codepaths. We might just be lucky.
Iff dns-sd indeed triggers the codepaths, the two biggest challenges I
- Getting upstream (dnsjava project) to add Java 9 compatibility.
- Get the new upstream version CQ'ed in time.