Re: [ecf-dev] SLP Discovery

On 19.10.2014 16:48, Wim Jongman wrote:
> I am using a remote service with SLP discovery. I notice that it
> sometimes takes up to a minute before the service is discovered and
> proxied. It does not hurt my use case but I wonder why this is.

Hi Wim,

it's the nature of the SLP protocol to periodically (re-) discover
services. If you want to speed up this process, you will have to deploy
a Directory Agent (DA) on your network. A DA is a centralistic role in
SLP which knows about all existing services and can be queried by users.

> Is it a timer based polling?

Yes, the timer is in org.eclipse.ecf.internal.provider.jslp.JSLPDiscoveryJob

> Can I force a discovery cycle?

You can obviously explicitly discover new services via
org.eclipse.ecf.discovery.IDiscoveryLocator.getServices().

What exactly are you using jSLP for?

HTH
Markus

Back to the top