Re: [ecf-dev] tutorial idea: OSGi remote services for existing services

Thanks...I will take a look at the github API.

As I said though:   I think it would be nice to produce a tutorial for a service/services that is not dev/tool focused, as I would like to try to gradually broaden the ECF Remote Services message to 'any/all services' rather than 'services associated with dev/tooling/eclipse'.

IMHO Markus K also had a point that commercial services (e.g. github) may not remain permanently open and consistent...although FWIW I would agree that at least most github API is likely to be fairly stable.

Another thought:   Perhaps over time we could produce several examples/tutorials.   Each example starts with the creation of one or more service type declarations (i.e. a java interface class) and any necessary classes to support that service (e.g. arguments and/or return type classes).    It's a best practice to place any such classes in a new, separate API bundle, and not put any implementation of the service type(s) into this API bundle.    The timeservice example is structured this way, with a project that *only* contains the ITimeService interface class and nothing else [1].

What I'm suggesting:  perhaps ECF community members such as Alex, Florian, Wim, Markus, and any interested others could create an API bundle for the API with which they are familiar (e.g. github, jenkins, ebay, Amazon, etc).   Each API could start very simply...e.g. and perhaps initially only provide a part/subset of the service.

Then I and/or others that are familiar with the ECF RS APIs would focus on creating (or perhaps simply configuring and resusing) a client-side distribution provider for that API, and writing the tutorial documenting the process.

What I'm suggesting is that for those of you familiar with these services, simply create a single, small/minimal, not-necessarily-fully-functional API bundle project, submit/contribute as ECF example, and I and others who wish can create the associated distribution providers and write the tutorial.  Of course I'm most willing to allow anyone to wishes to do this themselves, and I/ECF committers will support them.   If you are game and would like to do this (create a new API bundle for some service), simply open an enhancement/bug [2] and I will help create it.

We can/could add such contributions at either ECF's eclipse.org repo [3], or the ECF github repo [4] if more convenient/appropriate.

Thanks,

Scott

[1] http://git.eclipse.org/c/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.git/tree/examples/bundles/com.mycorp.examples.timeservice
[2] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=ECF